Friday 4 April 2014

Housework Harmony ~Andrew McAllister

Housework......
UGH.

Actually, typically I don't mind it, but lately it is just getting too monotonous and repetitive.
It was a stressful winter, a lot of it stuck indoors thanks to the craptastic cold weather (Up YOURS Polar Vortex!) so that means that the house is needing extra TLC because the children were going stir crazy exploding toys, crayons, paper, books, pots, pans...whatever they can get their paws on..... and somehow it all ends up in my livingroom.

You don't know pain until you have stepped on lego pieces, three times in a row.

Spring cleaning is upon us now, and I got a head start last weekend, which is good because my list is through the roof.

Now I am a stay at home mom, so the bulk of household responsibility falls on my shoulders. That was never a problem until child numero deux came along.
With my first child, I was June F'n Cleaver....it was all so easy. People really got annoyed with me. The house was always spotless, things always belonged in a place, she even loved to help, we had so much free time....But alas she's older now and my second let's just say I love her so much, wouldn't trade her for the world....but she's a busy one....
Now, between both of my kids, appointments, activities, housework, meals, homework, sleeping issues...etc...I'll admit it, I can no longer keep up! I have been waving my white flag for the past year. Just when I think I catch up, boom.... I don't. My hobbies (like this) get put on hold because my to-do list is long. Too Long.
That's actually one of the many reasons I am so behind in my blogs in the past year. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with everything I need to do, let alone WANT to do.

My husband, I try 'not' to put to much pressure on him... I get it.... I stay at home, he works hard to provide for us.... but at the end of the day, I am not a maid. I'm not an employee. I'm a wife. I know when to give up control (hahahaha, it's soooo haaaard)  I need help.

So when Andrew approached me about reading his new book about domestic partnership and housework for review, I was so thrilled to grab a copy for review! (took me a while to get around to reading but I got to it!!) I knew he had been writing it and had been counting the days for it to become available!



My reading 'Housework Harmony' is probably WHY I did not throttle my husband on the weekend when all hell broke loose over my daughters messy room.

Book Description:

Looking after your home and your children can place constant demands on your energy and free time, which is why housework is so often the flashpoint that brings out relationship challenges. Housework Harmony turns this problem into an opportunity by showing you how to replace tension and resentment with supportiveness and a growing sense of closeness. This book uncovers the many behavior patterns, commonly held assumptions, societal pressures, and other hidden landmines that influence how couples choose to share their domestic workload. Housework Harmony provides alternative approaches that will have you and your significant other cooperating like never before, opening the door to a loving partnership that will spill over into all aspects of your relationship.

My Take:

The first chapter made me laugh. Andrew brings a fun sense of humor to his writing.
As I fully immersed myself into reading, I started searching my home for video cameras... because so many of the scenarios, attitudes, thoughts he uses and describes in his book, are ones that take place here on almost a daily basis. Like my husband and I were Sam and Nicola (the fictional couple in the scenarios provided) 
It doesn't just stop at me. Reading 'Housework Harmony' scenarios was like reading any discussion I have ever had with my friends, colleagues, read in parenting forums or even drama that plays out on Facebook.
The good news is, the arguments and emotions that take place in this house are NORMAL.
It happens.

I AM NOT ALONE.

*PHEW*

So what did I think?
I think this is a must read for couples, housewives.... etc....
Because not only did he provide the explanations for how 'I' feel, as a reader Andrew gave me the male perspective and it.made.SENSE.  
(Men, you also get to see the female perspective)
He breaks it down for us in different scenarios and uses "Win Principals" to help relate, and you will relate!
 (If not...than I know you have a maid and full household staff....BITCH)

It's reasonable, it's sound advice and most importantly.....it....makes sense.

I LOVED Chapter Six.
Chapter Six made we want to stand up and applaud.
Andrew deserves a standing ovation for the common sense, breakdowns and advice in regards to certain stereotypes that are rampant in today's society. He took them on beautifully (I especially appreciated the stay at home mom ones! ;) )
What else can you expect from this book? A pop quiz! A his and hers quiz! Something you both can do individually than work on using the advice within the pages of the book to your advantage.
Everything is eloquently written, easy to follow and the steps to get you and your spouse on the same page.

Do I think I can get my husband to read it? HA! My husband will agree that I have a better chance of teaching a monkey wearing high-heels the Electric Slide in icy -30 degree weather..... but at least now I am armed with some extra insight as to how to deal with the Housework Battle woes that plague us and I have already explained some to him from the book and it's working!!
We actually joked the other day that we are on the same page about a chore and I started jumping up and down, gave him a hug and a kiss yelling 'Screw being on the same page!! We are finally in the same Chapter and that in itself is enough!!'
We both laughed, he agreed.

I think from now on, every wedding I attend, I am going to gift a copy of this book to my friends.... heck, why just stop at my friends. Maybe I should just be like that crazy British Lady who crashes that wedding in that commercial to talk about Bums....(ewww) but instead I will crash events to plug Housework Harmony. I'll even put on a fancy accent when I do it....maybe even a wig....I digress....

All in all, I advise you all to truly seek out a copy of this exceptional, helpful book.
And Andrew....please....could you remove the video surveillance now?

Author Andrew McAllister, Ph.D. has a blog called To Love, Honor and Dismay.
I encourage you to click the link to check it out!

Also be sure to check out "Unauthorized Access" the 5 Star novel by Andrew McAllister called you can find my blog review regarding that novel here!

                                          ***GIVEAWAY***


Need some domestic bliss in your life? Do you need help to gain some perspective when it comes to the he cleans-she cleans arguement? Do you want your own hardcopy edition of your very own? The Author has been kind enough to gift one to one of my readers!

All you have to do to enter is email me: reeniediva@gmail.com with 'Housework Harmony' in the title and your Name, Age, State/Province in the body, and name your least favorite chore. The one you want more help with!

One entry per person.
Open to residents of Canada and the US.
Must be 18 or older.


Contest Closes and Draw will be held on April16th at 8pm!!
As soon as the draw is complete, I will contact the winner via email and announce it via my Facebook Page!

Good Luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment