Friday 6 April 2012

Fifty Shades of 'Oh My!'....Part 1



And here I thought ‘The Help’ was going to be my next Kobo Purchase.  

Before I begin, this blog comes with a warning. If the subject of sex makes you uncomfortable, I don’t plan on this blog being very graphic, but please read at your discretion.  

Mother Dearest: I know you are reading this, so to really paint a picture for you on how much you may be uncomfortable with the topic: Remember that time, long ago, when you asked me what was the big deal about the number 69 and why everyone cracks jokes about it? I grabbed a copy of my UK Edition Cosmopolitan, opened it to an article on Kama Sutra, pointed to the ’69 Position’ and said ‘THAT’ is what it means!’ 

Good, now that my mom has run away from the computer turning fifty shades of red, I shall continue.

Have any of you read an Erotic novel before?  I have rarely paid attention to this particular genre before.  Truth be told, it wasn’t even on my radar until an Episode of Friends.  Do you remember it? The one where Joey takes a nap in Rachael’s room, and discovers an Erotic book about the characters Zelda, The Chimney Sweep and The Vicar? My favorite scene is when they are in the coffee house teasing Rachael about her taste in literature. “Dang this coffee’s cold. Hey Rach… Do you mind if I heat this up on your loins?’


Oh, how I miss that show!

Back to the topic at hand....

 Recently, I was asked if I had read the book Fifty Shades of Grey, by E.L James. The answer was no, though I had heard about it. I saw a story on a news program on how the sale of Erotic Fiction was on the rise due to the discretion of downloading to one’s e-reader. They described that particular book trilogy and how it is taking the reading world by storm.The news segment really made me laugh, because I remember my first (and only) attempt at reading an erotic novel.

When I was given my kobo as a birthday gift, I immediately started to download the free books that piqued my interest. They had a free erotic short story called ‘Ecstasy’ listed. I avoided it at first, but curiosity got the best of me. So I decided to read it. I am pretty sure my jaw was on the floor the entire time. I’m not prude by any means, and truth be told, I knew what I was in for, but I didn’t expect it to be any worse than the steamy scenes from your typical novel…

Whether it was the cheesy dialogue or the laughable euphemisms, I learned my lesson and decided it just wasn’t my style. 

That said, I have read reviews calling Fifty Shades an 'Adult Romance' rather than placing it under the more suggestible Erotic label. An attempt I am sure to market it among the mainstream. Let's face it, either way, it promises some good old fashion 'naughty hanky panky' inside it's pages! 

I decide to see what all the hype was about and entered ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ into the kobo search engine. You can imagine my surprise when a book titled ‘Mile High Butt Plug Club’ popped up as a recommended read. Well, thank you for the suggestion Kobo, and at 99cents it is a deal I can hardly pass up, but I shall move on. I scrolled down and there was the novel I was really after! A click here, a push of the button there, and voila! It was on my laptop ready to be transferred to my e-reader. I decided I was excited to read it, so I was quite irritated with myself when I picked up my kobo, and the battery needed re-charged. Just one of the few things that irritate me about electronics.

 Once she was charged, I was still eager to read Fifty Shades, but unsure about what to expect from page one. It took a few chapters, but once I was swept up in the story I was hooked.

It wasn’t what I expected. Not at all.

What are my thoughts? Where's my review? Tune into my next blog for my complete rundown on the Fifty Shades Trilogy.


1 comment:

  1. Well I have to agree..."It wasnt what I expected. Not at all" But Ive gotta go finish before you get your next blog up...:)

    ReplyDelete